Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

I really wanted to start this blog about a week ago, but of course I am just now getting around to it. I am sure that this will be a recurring theme ;)

It is hard to believe that at this time last week, I was playing pool and drinking Moscow Mules with 2 of my best friends and parents. It is crazy how much has changed in  just a week! Last Tuesday, we left our comfort zone and moved across the country with only a car full of our belongings (and, of course, our cats). We left Iowa at noon and arrived in North Carolina at noon the following day (there is a 1- hour time difference). Mitchell drove the entire way by himself, and didn't complain once. The cats didn't complain once, either ;)

We hit some freezing rain in the mountains of Virginia at about 4:00 in the morning. It was pretty scary, but obviously not a problem, and we made it.

We spent the first days catching up on sleep and trying to find a place to live. We were here only a day and a half before I started my job, and we really wanted to find a place to live before I started. We are settled in a cozy little 1-bedroom apartment that feels very much like home to us. It also has a pool for when the weather starts to get a little nicer (it has been in the upper 50's since we got here).

We quickly learned that because we live in a military town where people are constantly coming and going, furniture is always needed. This is a nice way of saying it's very expensive. Trying to furnish our apartment took a lot longer than we thought- turns out finding a place to live is only half the battle. But it is furnished and we are settled for the most part.

My first day of work was very overwhelming. I got sick the day we left Iowa, and it's been difficult to talk (I know, probably a good thing for me), which made the day a little more difficult than usual. The base is enormous and there were so many people to meet. I was thankful to start on a Friday, then have a 3 day weekend. Tomorrow, I'm starting with training, and it sounds like I'll be at my job location on Tuesday. I'm hoping to know more about my job and get started soon. It feels really good to be back on a base again. I love it!

We went to the beach today (Topsail Beach) which is about 45 minutes from where we live. This is a big touristy area during the summer months, but today we were happy to be some of the only ones on the beach today. There were hundreds of seashells everywhere - I don't think I've ever seen so many perfect seashells on a beach before, and we saw about 4-5 dolphins jumping in the water. I have heard there is also a beach on base. I don't have access yet, but I'm sure that will be something we'll be checking out very soon!

Here are some pics from Topsail Beach today!



2 comments:

  1. Love it! The beach is so pretty! Glad you guys are getting settled in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Happy for you and mitchy!!;)

    ReplyDelete