Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Update: Better late than never ;)

Believe it or not, this update took such a long time not because I procrastinated, but because we haven't been doing much.

Surprisingly, there is not a lot to do in little Jacksonville, North Carolina; if you're willing to drive there is quite a bit to do 1 - 2 hours away. It has been very cold the last 2 weeks, too cold to do much outside, and we've had a lot of rain, too. Although we were very lucky with temps in the 70's this past Sunday! I am told that in about a month, it will be perfect weather and I can't wait!

With the beach out of the picture the last couple of weekends, we have been struggling to come up with stuff to do. Wilmington is only about an hour away, and we're told that's where everything good is, but again we are kind of waiting for the weather to cooperate just a little better.

Last weekend, we went to a small town about 50 minutes away to go to a chocolate festival. It was indoors right on the water and just had a lot of chocolate vendors! Everything was very, very good despite the crowd (think Iowa State fair opening day ;) ). We came across some chocolate bacon and started talking about the bacon festival that was in Iowa the week before, and quickly made friends with a nice guy ahead of us who has family in Waterloo.

Work has been a slow start. I have been there three weeks now, and am just now getting out of training.  I wasn't prepared for that because most jobs I have had pretty much just throw me in - it's nice to be fully trained before getting thrown into everything. I really enjoy  my coworkers, and I know that I will love the job as well. I am so excited to get started (for real, not the training ;) ) and I still feel so incredibly lucky to have this job - it is a dream come true (sorry for being so cheesy).

Work hasn't gone quite as smoothly for Mitchell. We were pretty surprised to find that there aren't quite so many opportunities for him here (again - we thought Jacksonville was going to be quite a bit bigger than it truly is). But he has an interview next week for a job that would be so perfect for him - something technology related. If all goes well, I think that it will have been worth the wait :) And I think he'll get the job. I mean, I'd hire him ;)

Our apartment isn't so cozy and sweet anymore - someone moved in upstairs and I didn't know that walls could be made so thin. I swear that one of these days, the dog or the guy who lives up there is going to fall right through. Luckily we only signed a 6 month lease. And in the meantime, it's extremely convenient to live within 3 miles of the front gate (although some days it still takes 30 minutes to get in the gate!)

I am working on getting licensed as a therapist in the state of North Carolina, and they require me to take my boards (a really expensive test) before they will give me a temporary license. Iowa is different - they will give you a temporary license, you just have to take your boards before you get your independent, permanent license. (If that's confusing, this might help: after you graduate with your masters, you apply for a temporary license with the state. They then give you a temporary license for 2 years. In that time, you have to see a certain number of clients, and receive a certain number of hours of supervision - by a supervisor who has to also be approved through the state. After you complete those things, you may then receive a full license..  I am about 1/4 of the way through my temporary license). So anyways, I am probably going to study my little butt off so that I can get my temporary license here in North Carolina ASAP. Now that football is over, Mitchell is going to be watching the All-Star games ;)

Just like Iowa!

No comments:

Post a Comment