Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tropical Storm Ana

I was really looking forward to experiencing my first (real) tropical storm. We got word at work last Wednesday that there was a "coastal low" that may impact us throughout the weekend. I had no idea what that meant, but to my excitement, that "coastal low" turned into Tropical Storm Ana. 

Friday after work, a co-worker and I went to the beach to see whether or not things were getting started. The ocean had rougher seas, but nothing crazy. And, unfortunately, I don't think the pictures show much difference. 
 


While in Japan, I was able to experience a tropical depression, but that pretty much just meant it rained all day long. Turns out Tropical Storm Ana did pretty much the same thing, except in a much more annoying way. Instead of raining all day long, it would rain really hard for about 5 seconds, then quit.. Once it quit, I would wait for it to start raining again since my weather app assured me it would be raining all day non-stop. After about an hour of no rain, I would try to go outside, thinking maybe it was done for a while, and, alas, it would downpour. This was my routine for about 8 hours on Saturday.
 
By Sunday, we were pros and knew better. We ventured out to the beach, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have taken these pictures, because we only had about 5 minutes in between downpours. There was almost no beach to walk on - the water was right up to the sand dunes. This is one of my favorite pictures because, using Mitchell as a comparison, I think it really captures how rough the seas were, and serves as a reminder how small we are compared to the ocean.

 
Although Tropical Storm Ana was kind of a disappointment, I'm happy no damage was done, and that no one was injured. Especially after seeing the damage of the tornado in Iowa Sunday night. I have heard, though, that this is likely to make for an active hurricane season - since this stuff isn't supposed to start until June 1.. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment